Wednesday, December 5, 2007

For the love of furniture

I love furniture. In fact, the first design course I took was on the history of furniture! People told me I was crazy, but I didn't listen to them. I just loved it, couldn't get enough of it, and today I'm the same way. So, tonight I thought I'd break free from all my Christmas preparations (ahhh ... I feel re-energized already!), and profile Glen Foster, a furniture-maker who lives in Wakefield, Quebec, just outside of Ottawa. Glen started his career in fish physiology of all things, and spent a number of years working as a research associate in a university. But, furniture making was his passion, and today he designs and crafts it full-time. Here are a few photos of his work which has been sold at stores including Alteriors here in Ottawa. I especially like the second and third images which are of flitch-top tables, where a naturally edged piece of wood seems to float above the base. And, the Shaker table in blue, would look fabulous in my family room. If you like Glen's work, check out his Web site at http://www.fosterfinefurniture.com/ Do hope you enjoy the show!






3 comments:

Alkemie said...

Hi Jennifer, Thanks for visiting my blog and for your wonderful comments! I also really really really LOVE furniture so I can definitely relate ^_^ Will be dropping by.

Karen

Things That Inspire said...

Great post! Too bad we don't live in the same town. We could go furniture shopping together!

I am also obsessed with furniture. One of my favorite activities is to go to the local design center and look at all of the lovely furniture! I sometimes dream about opening up a store that has cool and unique furniture, combined with reasonably priced art.

Jennifer said...

That would be fun, wouldn't it? We'll have to figure out a way to pop into each other's towns, kind of like in Star Trek!
Actually, I have the exact same dream -- cool furniture, beautiful fabrics and linens, and local art. Maybe one day ... Have a great weekend!